Have you considered upgrading your current DVD player to Blu-ray technology? Probably your DVD player is unable to play some discs format, forcing you to make endless trips to the video store.
Well, it could be time to switch over. You are looking at the possibility of more features such as enhanced readability, better picture quality, great storage ability, and latest laser technology.
If you are looking to improve the experience of your clients in a movie theatre or improve your home viewing experience, Blu-ray devices offer additional value.
Blu-ray technology is able to read all types of discs—DVDs, CDs, SACDs, blue ray discs, and DVD-Audio disk. It also accepts more formats like JPEG, WMA, and MP3 making it even more versatile.
Blu-ray technology players come with additional features such as better audio output, 3D output, picture adjusting options, 4K displays and upscaling, live streaming, HDMI, USB, and other important new developments.
How do you choose the right Blu-ray player? With different features on offer, you may be in a dilemma to pick the right one.
To help with your selection, we have put together the best Blu-ray players on the market.
Below are the 7 best Blu-ray Players to choose from.
Our Top 7 Picks
1. Sony UBP-X800
This Blu-ray player weighs 4.2 pounds and can play 4K Ultra HD movies. It offers High Dynamic Range (HDR), Dolby Atmos 3D surround and DTS: X sound capability. It supports Bluetooth, HDMI and has the ability to connect to the Home Ethernet.
It is built for a real theatre experience due to its ultimate video and audio experience. It is also compatible with Intel 100/200/300 and AMD 300/400 series.
- It is offered with a full 1-year warranty.
- It is Anti-vibration enhanced.
- It plays nearly all disc types.
- It supports unlimited file formats like MOV, mpg, m.k.v, and MPEG.
- It supports streaming services via Wi-Fi.
- It supports HDR to SDR conversion.
- It supports different photo formats like as BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and MPO
- It does not offer Dolby Vision HDR.
This is a 4.2 pound, 120V-60Hz Black LG device. It is a 4k Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray Disk player and also supports USB playback. It supports 4k picture quality, upscaling, Ethernet connection, DOLBY Atmos, HDMI output and NTSC to PAL conversion.
This Blu-ray disk player also supports external hard disk playback. It is HDR10 (High Dynamic Range) compatible meaning the pictures are great with unmatched contrast and varying colors.
- It supports over 10 audio formats.
- It supports video formats like MPEG-1, SMPTE VC1 (VC-9), Xvid and others.
- It consumes less than 1.5W on standby and 17W while operating.
- It comes with a one year warranty (parts and labor).
- It has a noise reduction feature.
- It has a sleek shape and fits effortlessly in a small space.
- It is supported by firmware updates.
- It does not support Wi-Fi connection
3. Panasonic DP-UB820
This is a 5.3 lbs Blu-ray Disk Player. It is a 4K, Ultra HD Premium certified, and HLG compatible. It comes fitted with HDR10+ (High Dynamic Range) for enhanced picture contrast and extra brightness on compatible TVs.
It also allows USB playback and has a 31W Normal use and 0.2W standby power consumption. This device gives a great cinema experience due to its HCX processor.
- It has a compact design.
- It can connect with the home Ethernet network.
- It gives you high-quality audio and images.
- It supports HDR to SDR conversion.
- It supports unlimited DVD and input formats.
- It has up to date features such as subtitle position, internet apps, and external hard disk playback.
- 2-year warranty included.
- Up scales HD Blu-ray & DVD discs.
- It does not play a CD disc effectively.
4. Sony UBP-X1100ES
This is a 9.75 pounds Blu-ray player with a stunning 4K display, UHD certification, and HDR capabilities. It offers seamless connectivity with other hi-tech devices via Wi-Fi, CAT 5 cable, RS232C two-way or IR-IN.
The audio capability is enhanced to high picture quality by Dolby vision and DSEE HX. It also has an HDR10 signal which contains up to 100x brighter than standard (SDR).
- Unlimited file formats.
- Streaming option is available.
- It offers all colors in nature.
- It helps in upscaling the video quality and audio output.
- It has reduced vibration thus giving you ultimate audio and video quality.
- It can play unlimited file formats and disc formats.
- It requires manual switching to Dolby Vision.
- It does not have HDR1O+ support.
5. Pioneer UDP-LX500
This is a 1 pound black Pioneer Blu-ray disk device. It comes with a 6-Layered circuit board to help eliminate digital noise. Certified by UHD it has high 4K picture feature, HDR and offers a range of color spectrum. It also has PQLS (Precision Quartz Lock System) that helps eliminate distortion caused by timing errors and Zero Signal Terminal dedicated to tuning video and audio quality.
- It offers four times picture quality in comparison with 1080 Full HD.
- It is compatible with regular Blu-ray, SACD, DVD, and Audio CD.
- It has an inbuilt noise reduction feature.
- It accepts unlimited file formats.
- It accepts an Ethernet connection.
- Does not have up to date features such as Wi-Fi capabilities or streaming options.
6. LG UBK90
It is a 3.6 pound, 4K Ultra-HD, and 3D Blu-ray Disc Player. It permits HDR playback, is compatible with HDR10 and has 4K streaming capability. It is incorporated with a high dynamic range Dolby vision for color enhancing and brightness.
It also accepts external hard disk playback and uses less than 0.5W on standby and 110-240V 50/60Hz while running.
- It has a noise reduction feature.
- It has in Built Wi-Fi and accepts Ethernet.
- It can stream content directly from YouTube and Netflix.
- It comes with a 1-year Warranty.
- It allows for the HDMI output option.
- It accepts unlimited file formats and disc types.
- It does not have a front panel display.
- The remote control is not well developed.
7. SONY BDP-S3700
This is a black 1.81 pound, Wi-Fi optimized Blu-ray disk. It is designed to accept HDMI output, Coaxial Digital Audio Output, USB input and Ethernet connection. It also has a DLNA feature that allows the sharing of multimedia files across supported devices. This device connects Blu-ray devices to Fire TV, PS4, Xbox One, XBOX 360 and HDMI enabled devices to TVs.
- It accepts streaming services.
- It has a high-quality sound enhanced by Dolby True HD.
- It is compatible with apps that enhance user experience.
- Enables upscaling of picture to full HD.
- It supports 3D picture playback.
- It supports Bluetooth connectivity.
- The app section needs to be developed better for ease of use.
Here are some of the ways the Blu-ray technology has changed from the DVD player level:
- Extended up to date features such as streaming and sharing.
- Better viewer experience with enhanced picture clarity
- Add-on features to assist in linking devices such as Xbox and PS4.
- Noise reduction features.
- Compatibility with other home devices.
- Acceptance of many file formats and DVD models.
How to choose the best Blu-ray disk player
What to consider when selecting A Blu-ray Disk Player
The core role is to watch films, movies, and videos using this device, it’s therefore imperative to look out for unique features that make videos great. 4K, Ultra HD or 3d could be great indicators of the Blu-ray ability to dispense great pictures.
The importance of sound quality cannot be overemphasized. Devices that offer clarity in audio are a great indicator of great viewing experience. If you choose to use the Blu-ray disk in a movie theatre sound enhancement and clarity should be a priority.
The new-age movies or videos are released and watched online without having to convert them to disk format. A Blu-ray disk with either Wi-Fi capabilities or direct links to streaming apps is a vital thing to consider.
Nature of Use
Nature of use may vary from, home, work, educational, movie theatre, libraries, and many other ways. Choosing a device for a public area e.g. a library may require an infinite feature to keep it open for different file formats and device sharing options.
There may be infinite Blu-ray options out there, but ultimately the one you purchase should fit in your budget. Due to the many great features available you may be indifferent and end spending on features you don’t need. A modest budget should get you a great device for your use.
Warranty and after-sales support
A great product should offer you either a return policy or free repair in case of the malfunction immediately after buying.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
How do you gauge the perfect Blu-ray device?
There is no definite answer to the ultimate Blu-ray device; however, you may choose one based on your intended use and the factors discussed under the buying guide.
What is the Cheapest Blu-ray device?
Well, with under $1OO you may get a good Blu-ray device. However, you will have to do with either picture quality of 1080P, absence of streaming service and most don’t have advanced features such as Wi-Fi capabilities.
Do I need a 4K Blu-ray device?
Yes! 4K Blu-ray discs hold so much data than standard discs. On the other hand, they are enabled with Ultra UHD for striking pictures and videos. 4K together with HDR is a great addition that improves picture quality, contrast, brightness, texture that make your viewing experience breathtaking.
What is the Up-scaling feature in Blu-ray devices?
This is a Blu-ray feature that enhances original input quality. The input quality should have a minimum of (1080P) Full HD which is the transform to a 4K quality of (38408*2160 resolution) which is better quality in a viewing perspective. Upscaling converts video to fully utilize the maximum size of the monitor.
Is Playstation a good Blu-ray device?
Yes! Play Station (PS5/PS4) a home video player, to your surprise can play Blu-ray discs. The video quality may not be up to the standard of the 4K Blu-ray devices because some lack 4K-Ultra HD support. However, for you to use it without interruptions, you need to download some software like firmware.
Are some Blu-ray devices better than others?
Yes! In fact, you will find quite pricey Blu-ray devices because of the extra features and functions. There is the basic functionality that a standard Blu-ray device should have—it should play Blu-ray discs, DVDs and CDs, read images and videos off a USB, all have HDMI output and have powered sound capabilities such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio. Newer versions are able to stream, provide high-quality videos, inbuilt Wi-Fi and other great features.
Can you really spot a difference between 1080P and 4K in Blu-ray devices?
Yes! It is possible. For starters, 1080P and 4K are high picture quality and the latter is 4 times better than 1080P.4K display capability in Blu-ray is best observed when the screen involved is larger than 42 inches. For a better understanding of the difference, when both 1080P and 4K are at play on corresponding screens you will note the picture clarity in 4K. Other factors are such as eyesight defects and the distance to the screen.
Blu-ray players are great alternatives to existing DVD players. Add-on features that come with Blu-ray devices make it a must-have device.
Features such as HDMI output, USB compatibility, Bluetooth reading ability, live streaming ability, and Ethernet connections make Blu-ray devices easy to connect with other existing home-sharing devices.
In addition to sound clarity, high picture quality and noise reduction are other major components added to the technology to make it worth it to acquire. Depending on the intended use you can find a Blu-ray device at a budget and features that you need.
Be sure to clearly understand what you must consider before settling on a particular Blu-ray device.
You may also like
- Best AA Batteries
- Best Handheld TVs
- Best Car Headphones
- Best In-Wall Speakers
- Best Tracing Light Pads
- Best RC Radio Transmitters
- Best Business Card Scanners
- Best Professional Grade 4K Video Cameras