Tactical flashlights are absolutely essential items to have for a variety of reasons. You are probably looking for one either for general use around the house, camping, hunting, self-defense precautions, or professional deployment.
Whatever your reason, you will definitely need to be equipped with information as you hunt for the best brightest tactical flashlight in the market. This guide will help you sift through the numerous types of flashlights and successfully narrow down to one that suits your needs.
Our Top 10 Picks
This tactical flashlight beats the rest with its excellent peripheral lighting and produces 2000 lumens. The package includes original Nitecore batteries which gives it an immense capacity to see through the thickest fog and penetrate smoke.
It also comes with an impact-resistance which protects it from a fall of about 1.5m.
- The levels of brightness remain constant.
- The flashlight’s functions are mainly operated by the rotation switch which makes it user-friendly.
- It saves energy by regulating its own temperature which makes it comfortable to hold.
- It’s slightly bigger than other flashlights.
2. Fenix TK-35
This flashlight has a whopping brightness of 2000 lumens which means that you can operate it at its lowest setting and it will be enough to find your way through the darkness.
It has seven operational modes that include Eco, Turbo, Strobe, SOS, Low, Medium and High.
- Its digital regulation allows its brightness level to remain constant.
- Its maximum brightness can cover a distance of 100 yards.
- It lights up a whole room as opposed to only one spot.
- It comes with an inverted polarity protection in case the batteries are inserted incorrectly.
- Its large battery size makes recharging take longer.
If your focus is getting a lot of light, then this would be the ideal flashlight for you.
This model weighs just 5 ounces yet still incredible in terms of performance and light output. It features five modes; Low, Medium, High, SOS and Strobe.
Its package includes two 3.7Volt 18650 batteries. Alternatively, you can opt for 3 triple-A batteries.
- It has a smooth zooming function.
- It features a great flooding beam which helps prevent over-spilling and creating a hot spot.
- Fitting the batteries might be slightly cumbersome.
The Stinger weighs 2 pounds but with a compact size, has a beam distance of 297m and 640 lumens.
It can run for about 4 hours after charging.
- Consistent light output.
- Smaller in size despite the 2 pound weight.
- Has an impact resistance of about 1m making it durable.
- When exposed to a lot of impact, its performance begins to fluctuate.
It features 630 lumens, has a running time of 1.25 hours, weighs 0.26 pounds and the CR123A batteries are included in the package.
- It is durable.
- When fitted on a gun, it has an aluminum build that makes it look like one unit.
- It fits a variety of firearms securely.
- The battery compartment door seems slightly insecurely-built.
- The Strobe mode is a bit tricky to select.
This is Ecogear’s brightest flashlight at 1600 lumens. The kit has mini LED flashlight and 18650 Lithium batteries.
- It features a reflector that ensures no wastage of brightness.
- It has an intuitive switch that operates the different modes of light as well as turning it on and off.
- Its durability is due to the LED emitter that maintains constant voltage.
- It is a tad bit expensive.
- It may not be water resistant.
The Internova Guardian 1300XL produces 1200-2000 lumens and is powered by an 18650 Lithium battery.
- It has a high quality build which ensures durability.
- It can also be powered by 3 AAA batteries.
- It glows slightly in the dark making it convenient to locate.
- Caution should be taken not to drop it as the lens can shatter easily.
This flashlight weighs 0.35 pounds, has 600 lumens and is powered by two CR123A batteries.
- It is waterproof.
- It is extremely bright.
- It features 3 simple operating modes.
- It is built with anti-roll design which protects it from rolling in case it falls.
- It has a wide beam spread making it better for use in close quarters.
- It may not be as durable as the other flashlights but can still give you good service.
- It gets a bit warm after running for about 10 minutes, but it isn’t uncomfortable warmth.
It is among the brightest flashlights at 2000 lumens. It may cost you a few more dollars but every penny is worth it. It is normally powered by one 18650 battery.
- Its light is red in color which beats the monotony of other white lights.
- It is water resistant.
- You have the option of using 3 AAA batteries.
- It has a robust metal body.
- The batteries are not included in the package.
It can produce up to 1200 lumens and it features five light modes. It can be powered by 3 AAA batteries or just one 18650 battery.
It is normally used by professional law enforcers, security personal and can also be used for camping or night patrols.
- It is small in size.
- It features great zooming with laser-sharp focus.
- Great light spread.
- Good pricing.
- For you to have the 1200 lumens, you must use the 18650 battery (which is bought separately).
- The battery is not included in the package.
What to consider before buying a tactical flashlight
These are the factors you need to consider before purchasing a tactical flashlight:
Common Users of Tactical Flashlights
Different people in different professions use the best brightest tactical flashlights for certain activities or specific jobs. So if you fall under any of the listed categories, then you definitely require a tactical flashlight.
when it comes to engaging the enemy, military personnel requires a reliable tactical flashlight which can be mounted on the firearm. The flashlights enable them to traverse caves, jungles and even encampments.
If you love camping, trekking, fishing, hunting or shooting games; then you will definitely require a tactical flashlight.
Firefighters, farmers and truck drivers need this handy tool especially during rescue operations and emergency situations.
Any ordinary citizen would need a tactical flashlight by their bedside for self-defense and emergency purposes.
Whether you are a security guard or police officer, you will need a pocket flashlight in your arsenal to enable you see better at night.
Essential Aspects of a Tactical Flashlight
As a potential buyer, it is important that you learn the basic functions of a reliable tactical flashlight together with some factual information.
This indicates the intensity and the distance that the beam reaches. It is measured in meters.
This is equivalent to the rating of lumens that the flashlight has. It is the amount of brightness that comes from the front of the flashlight.
It is normally measured in meters. It is the height at which the flashlight will still function as normal even after being dropped on concrete.
This indicates whether the flashlight can still function after coming into contact with water. It has various levels ranging from IPX4 to IPX7, and IPX8.
This rating indicates that flashlights can function properly after coming into contact with splashing water.
This rating is for high lumen flashlights that have been tested to function properly even after being submerged for 30 minutes under 1m depth of water.
This rating is for flashlights that have been submerged in water deeper than 1m for more than 4 hours and still function properly.
Common Types of Tactical Flashlights
These flashlights are similar to the non-rechargeable ones, with the added advantage that they conserve the environment and save money over time.
It is organized and with a simple profile, meaning you can carry it anywhere you wish.
This type can be powered by the widely available AA batteries.
What to consider while choosing the best tactical flashlight
Lumens (Luminous Flux)
Any light source or the brightness of a flashlight is normally measured in lumens. If you need a flashlight that will be used in tactical situations, then the brightness level should fall within 700 to 2000 lumens.
Law enforcement officers or military personnel mostly work with tactical flashlights that are above 700 lumens.
A brightness of 900 lumens would suffice for outdoor or domestic purposes, while a brightness of 2000 lumens can be used for self-defense (to blind an attacker) or during camping or cycling.
Please note that pure brightness isn’t necessarily the only thing to look out for, because this translates to draining your battery and skimping on other features like the longevity of the flashlight.
Ensure that the flashlight you are looking for is durable, compact and small in size, whether it is for hunting, domestic use, self-defense or other uses. You would prefer a flashlight that is easy to handle and concealable.
This might be tricky since most tactical flashlights are sold as a complete set (kit). The kit may include battery chargers, the batteries the flashlight uses or even battery sleeves.
You will need to use your discretion at this point so as to get value for your money. For instance, does it mean that when a battery is included in the tactical flashlight kit, there’s a possibility that you would have to settle for a flashlight with less lumens?
Or, would the price be justified if you bought the two items separately?
The tactical flashlight’s durability is mostly determined by the material used to make it. Choose one that has been manufactured using robust material as it will ensure longevity.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
How many lumens can blind an attacker?
To temporarily blind an attacker, you will need at least 300 plus lumens. These tactical flashlights are normally used for self-defense.
Which brands of tactical flashlights are used by the police?
The best choices are the flashlights that are high quality and are rechargeable. Most popular tactical flashlights with the police are the Streamlight Strion DS HL and the Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL. They both have ample beam range and feature high brightness levels.
How many lumens can cause eye damage?
It isn’t really the number of lumens that matter but how much light is directed on a tiny spot or surface. If a lot of light is created from a tiny area, then it can cause damage to the eyes.
Why do police often use red lights?
Red light is meant to preserve your vision. Red lights are normally used in military bunkers, photography dark rooms, submarines and anywhere work is done in the dark. Red lights allow you to get adjusted to the dark while giving you enough light to see with.
Erasing any form of confusion is necessary when purchasing your tactical flashlight which was our main objective to begin with.
Which brand or model will you settle on?
We are sure that you are now equipped to narrow down on the best and brightest tactical flashlight that perfectly suits your needs with this guide.
Keep in mind that it’s really not about high levels of lumens; it is more about having a consistent level of brightness for longer.
You may also like
- Best Rifle Scopes
- Best Night Lamps
- Best Camping Tents
- Best Spotting Scopes
- Best USB LED Lights
- Best LED Reading Lights
- Best Outdoor Wall Lights
- Best Folding Tactical Knives
- Best Camping/Backpacking Axes & Hatchets