Televisions are still considered important in many homes despite the advancing technological inventions. As much as content providers offer recording options, you really want a great experience when viewing your favorite episode or playing online games.
A handheld/portable TV comes in handy by allowing you to watch an event as it happens, like a match; from anywhere. It can fit in a glove compartment or in your backpack.
In addition to its rechargeable power, it can source power from most outputs like an adapter or even a car cigarette lighter.
The handheld TV is mostly preferred due to its convenience. You can be sure to be comfortable, not straining your back while holding your favorite refreshment in one hand, and a TV remote in the other.
With the growing need of this device, many manufacturers are releasing more products and unfortunately, not all may be genuine. Some may have poor picture clarity, terrible sound or even lack certain key features.
But we got you covered in this review. We will take you through the seven best portable handheld TVs so that you can grab one for yourself too!
Our Top 7 Picks
It is a mini TV with a digital TV tuner and a rechargeable battery, all of which are built-in.
It has detachable antennas, a capability of both AV and DC, and also has a card slot that one can use with USB and SD. The antennas have the capacity to boost power since they are of high-power capability.
It comes with a functional wireless remote.
It has a diverse charging system with an AC wall charger and a car charger as well.
It has a manual and a removable stand.
- Its images are crystal clear.
- Since it has two antennas, the reception is better, making it easier to watch more channels.
- Its lithium battery can be recharged via both AC on the wall and car charger; therefore, no worries about it going off.
- Its ability to use headphones allows you to enjoy your favorite shows without disturbing anyone who might need silence.
- The in-built digital tuner makes it impossible to switch to another channel while recording another.
This device has both AC and DC adapters. In addition, it has an AV input converter that can be used for RCA input.
It also features a display mounting pad and has multiple inputs, which include USB, SD card slot, AV inputs, and Coaxial Antenna Input.
For ease in boosting signals, it has antennas that are high power.
With rechargeable lithium-ion battery, this portable TV comes with a built-in digital tuner that is able to support ATSC/NTSC.
- It comes with an instruction manual; therefore, it is easy to operate.
- Having two external antennas makes it easier to have access to a variety of programs.
- Its two adapters make it convenient to use at any place because the AC adapter can be used at home and the DC adapter in an automobile.
- The lithium-ion battery is able to keep the charge for up to 80 minutes.
- It has a limited warranty of up to 1 year.
It measures 2.2 pounds with dimensions of 9*4.9*8 inches and requires 2AA batteries to operate.
It comes with antenna and in addition, two external corded antennas. It has a USB and SD port with car and wall chargers.
It has different mounts, including wall mounts for ease of use.
- When using the stand, the angle of the TV is adjustable.
- It displays high-quality pictures.
- It´s able to pick up both radio and HD signals.
- It has a built-in loudspeaker in case you want to listen to any favorite shows while far from the device’s position.
- It does not connect with Bluetooth unless it is attached to a satellite or cable box that is Bluetooth enabled, e.g., Fios.
This mini TV is perfect since it is an upgraded solution. It has a built-in lithium battery, which is rechargeable.
It has inputs for external audio and video playback, AV input, and output jacks, and earphone jack. It operates on AC and DC and also has AC and DC adapters, which make it convenient.
The device has a digital tuner that supports ATSC and NTSC, a removable stand, and its high external power helps in boosting the signal.
It comes with a wireless multi-function remote control and a manual for reference to instructions.
- Its high external power allows the device to pick up more channels than some of the broadcast televisions that you may have.
- It has a great resolution allowing it to display high-quality pictures.
- It has a longer battery shelf life of up to 90 minutes; therefore, you don’t have to worry about charge.
- Its lightweight of 2.19 pounds allows you to hold it for a longer time, mostly if you are using it outdoors.
- It requires an effort to take off the plastic cover available on it.
This is a widescreen TV with a resolution of 1024 x 600. It has a variety of input systems, which include a USB port, TF card reader, AV input. It has a headphone jack to allow the plugging of headphones.
It comes with a functional remote control, has a built-in digital tuner and an analog tuner.
For convenience, it is equipped with two chargers, a car charger, and a plug-in charger.
This device can support a wide range of formats, including MP3, VMA, JPEG photos, and AVI.
For maximum storage of electricity, it has a lithium-ion battery of 2500 mAh, which is rechargeable, allowing the device to play for 2.5 hours when at 100% volume and 3 hours when at 60 % volume.
- It has a long battery life of approximately 2.5 hours.
- Its micro SD supports up to 32 GB.
- It picks up more channels than most smart TVs available in the market.
- It can be used as a monitor where it displays a resolution of 1920 x 1080.
- It does not support DVD disc playback.
With dimensions of 13.5 x 8.7 x 3.6 inches and weighing 2.9 pounds, this portable LED TV delivers crisp image quality with a resolution of 1280×800, making it perfect for indoor and outdoor recreation.
Its built-in speakers bring out quality sound. But if you want to keep it to yourself without disturbing others, then you can make use of the headphone jack.
This lightweight device comes with a removable stand with adjustable feature and also a remote control for viewing pleasure.
The Supersonic SC-2812 features Li-Polymer rechargeable battery and has A/C adapter, Antenna and User manual. It also has a USB port. Its built-in digital TV tuner allow access to a wide variety of programs.
- The TV is light making it easy to mount and move around with.
- Picture and sound quality is excellent.
- It has good speakers, so you don’t have to worry about tinny sounding.
- Its initial setup is easy.
- Poor remote control.
The handheld TV has both Ac and DC adapters, which makes it easier to plug in an automobile.
It has a lithium-ion battery that remains on for up to 80 minutes.
It has a displaying mounting pad that is removable, and also, if you love gaming and privacy, it can be connected with a DVD player.
If you are in an area that has a low signal, then the high-power antennas which are externally placed can boost it for you. It also comes with remote control.
- It is able to scan channels faster than other digital and non-portable TVs.
- Its antennas are replaceable.
- It has a lightweight, thus easy to move around with.
- It has a great battery that is able to power it long enough even after unplugging it from the power source.
- Its ATSC receiver has a low sensitivity.
How to choose the best portable handheld TV
To make sure that you get yourself the best handheld TV you have to consider the following factors:
You need to make sure that the TV you buy has an antenna that is able to capture signals properly, depending on your geographical location. Also, antennas vary in shapes and sizes, and the reason is that each is to suit a specific need. You also need to know that there are directional and multidirectional antennas, and both have different range capacity.
Size and Weight
You should go for a portable TV that is convenient for you. They all come in different sizes and weights. A lighter one is easy to carry around. The best thing is that for a handheld TV, it is not difficult to choose the appropriate size.
Resolution is the sharpness of a TV picture. Avoid TVs with a low resolution as you will have grainy images. The best models are those that features ultra HD (4 K TVs). The advantage of such TVs is that even small objects have more detail and are easily visible.
Availability of HDMI Ports
The more the ports for HDMI connections, the better. Be sure that these ports support HDMI 2.0 for the accommodation of future Ultra HD sources.
The best handheld TV should have a better contrast ratio for better details. Before making a purchase, be sure to test the TV sharpness and brightness to make sure that the contrast ratio is what you need.
You should look for one with a long-lasting battery and that which is rechargeable.
Input and Output Ports
The best portable TV to buy should have enough input and output ports. The common ones are USB, MMC, SD, and AV ports.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Are handheld TVs still efficient?
Yes, they do work. This is because the recent ones are digital TVs. But in case you have an analog TV then you can get a digital-to-analog converter box.
What are the common features for a handheld TV?
An in-built power source, which is usually a rechargeable battery. It is small in size, and so it can be easily carried and has an external antenna to capture signals.
Can I use my car battery to power my handheld TV?
It is possible, though this should be done when the car is not running. TV with a DC of 1.5 amp can be charged by a 450-watt car battery and thereafter be able to start the car without any hitch.
What if I have a non-portable TV, do I still need the portable one?
Anyone can purchase such a TV, but those who love barbecues and other outdoor activities, and don’t like it when they miss news or are just game lovers, then having this is inevitable.
It is not easy to find a portable television that suits your needs. That’s why we have gone the extra mile to compile the above list of the best handheld TVs available.
It is clear that mini TVs are easy to operate and set up. They are light, easy to store and are rarely affected by interference.
Their sizes allow you to mount them wherever you are; whether working in the kitchen or dressing, then the built-in stands allow you to mount the TV wherever you are. We can’t forget to mention that they have a long-lasting battery.
All the televisions featured here are amazing, and it will only depend on your budget and the specific need.
Grabbing one already?
You may also like
- Best AA Batteries
- Best Blu-ray Players
- Best In-Wall Speakers
- Best Tracing Light Boxes
- Best Handheld CB Radios